Tuesday, December 25, 2007

Christmas Morning with a Present

It's quiet in the house...my family is sleeping late. We opened presents on Christmas eve. Jessica was simply delighted with everything. Her heart is torn between a pink guitar and a little no-bake oven. But when she sings, look out, the expressions are something else! Moments in time to remember...

Speaking of moments, for some reason I thought about my elementary school days and one of the very special gifts the 8th grade nun gave me - Haiku poetry. I remember hearing it read, and hearing the challenge of 5 syllables of the first line, 7 making up the second and 5 for the third. That's all! It's a discipline, for sure, but one that keeps you in the moment. We had English books that had a few Haiku poems in them that enthralled me...and have kept me under their spell. I've been writing them ever since...I think I'm part of legions of people who write haiku. It's a wonderful artform and if you haven't tried it, why don't you give yourself a Christmas present?

1 comment:

~*~Patty S said...

Lynn ~ I am SO tickled to see that you have a blog, LOVELY! I also see that you've been bitten by 'arches'. I am totally hooked on them myself. Have you ever played in the Sunday Gothic Arch challenges?
Your Haiku is very touching, a nice bit of brain massage I'm thinking as I have never tried one!
Very best holiday wishes, sounds like you're having a very merry!
~*~ Patty at Magpie's Nest